The Measurement, Reporting and Verification & National Communication Division is responsible in developing and maintaining a comprehensive MRV system that will allow to measure, report and verify the rate of forest change, greenhouse gas emissions country’s carbon emissions and comply with the requirements of global climate change rules (e.g. UNFCCC). Furthermore the division is responsible for;
- Coordinating the establishment of the country’s Climate Change information hub; and the national MRV system to report and verify the country’s GHG emissions.
- Coordinate the CCDA’s role in national consultation, stakeholder engagement and information sharing
- Coordinate the Government’s attendances and participation under the Climate Change Convention negotiations
- Coordinate and reporting all climate change actions in PNG to the UNFCCC and other related treaties
The division aims to establish transparency, accountability and trust among all sectors and stakeholders.
- General Management: This program is done in collaboration with the organisation’s Corporate Services Division specifically in the Human Resources and Finance Branches.
- Measurement, Reporting and Verification: The objective of this program is to develop a national MRV system for monitoring greenhouse gas emissions for PNG in accordance with our obligations under the UNFCCC and its Kyoto Protocol and any subsequent international frameworks agreed by all Parties to this two treaties. The MRV and National communication Division is for implementing activities to set up a National MRV system that will allow PNG to monitor report and verify its greenhouse gas emissions and comply with appropriate international and in the long run national rules. In the new Climate Change (Management) Act, 2015; MRV stipulated under Part (IV) highlighting under division 1-3
- MRV Technical Working Group: The MRV Sub-working Group is established under the REDD+ Technical Working Group as set up by NEC Decision 54/2010. The MRV Sub-working Group comprises all appropriate stakeholders and supports analysis for the development of a national MRV system for PNG.
- MRV system
- To coordinate identify the technical requirements of a national MRV system
- To coordinate, identify and develop capacity to manage a national MRV system
- To coordinate the procurement of an MRV system
- To coordinate and implement the part (iv) of the Climate Change (Management) Act
- To Establish the National Reference Level GHG
- Satellite Land Monitoring System (SLMS)
- The Satellite Land Monitoring System (SLMS) is a sub-component of the National Forest Monitoring System which all developing countries participating in REDD+ under the UNFCCC must have. This initiative is funded and supported by the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) under the UN REDD Joint Program with the Government of Papua New Guinea (GoPNG). Through the UNREDD Programme, this project would assist the GoPNG in the following key areas;
- Establishment of a land-based Monitoring System through assessment of satellite images,
- Setting up of a web-portal for disseminating information related to REDD+
- Accounting of greenhouse gases (GHGs) for the Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land (AFOLU) sector
- Reporting its GHG emissions to the UNFCCC as part of its Obligation,
- Development of Policies and Measures for its REDD+ initiatives.
The SLMS lab will house two key activities:
- Data Analysis System adopted from Brazilian’s Forest Monitoring System known as the TerraPNG Analysis. This analysis system will work concurrently with the Collect Earth Tool used at NFI Lab under PNGFA. Results generated from both TerraPNG and Collect Earth systems will verify against each other for QA/QC purposes before they can be used for MRV calculations.
- The information dissemination platform called the PNG REDD+ Web portal. The PNG REDD+ Web portal aims to act as a one stop online location where information relating to REDD+ are to be viewed by all interested parties dealing with REDD+ in PNG and globally.